What is the New Europe Railway Heritage Trust?
NERHT is a voluntary society founded in 1999 to help railway preservation in the former Soviet Union and the other ex-Communist countries in Central and Eastern Europe. NERHT is registered in England as a charity. Read our Constitution.
Our role is to provide advice and develop links. Our panel of specialist consultants includes senior railwaymen, museum specialists and other experts who are able to visit projects in the New Europe and give advice.
Although NERHT is a small organization we are able to help in all sorts of ways. We do this by working closely with public and private sector bodies of all kinds. Over the years we have built up valuable links with politicians, officials and others, including those involved in international cooperation of all kinds.
In the field of railway preservation NERHT is a member of Fedecrail (the European Federation of Museum and Tourist Railways) and the Heritage Railway Association which represents preserved railways throughout Britain. Through these two umbrella bodies we have access to a wide range of expertise, as well as links to European and national governments. NERHT has arranged for several railways and museums in the East to join Fedecrail.
Other NERHT activities include:
- Arranging study tours of Britain and Western Europe.
- Placing visitors on work experience on preserved railways and museums in Britain.
- Speaking at international conferences, and helping delegates from the East to attend.
- Organising exhibitions, seminars and other events.
- Explaining the economic and social benefits of tourist railways to politicians and officials.